10/03/2018

First sight

I don't know about people but with yarn there is definitely such a thing as love at first sight. Like with this gorgeous Kässäkerho Pom Pom Donegal DK yarn. A DK weight superwash merino yarn with tweed. Tweed has been trending for past couple of years but this is the first DK weight tweed yarn I've seen. And yes, it was love at first sight.


What: First sight / Own pattern
How: Circular needle 4.5 mm
From: Kässäkerho Pom Pom Donegal DK, 400 g
https://www.ravelry.com/projects/NeulistiMNK/first-sight

I designed a sweater pattern for this new yarn and it was just published in the Finnihs TAITO magazine. The pattern will be available as an English single pattern on Ravelry in the spring.



I wanted to design a boxy sweater with thicker yarn for a change. As usual, this one is knitted seamlessly top down. The shoulders are shaped with short rows and the hero of the pattern is the wide cable panel in front that is framed with narrow braid cables. The hem has a slit and the back is a bit longer than the front. The sleeves are 3/4 length. The neckband is folded in half and finished off with a crochet bind off.


Most of the sweater is easy knitting. The short rows and cables take a bit of concentrating at the beginning but after the shoulders it's very relaxed. The thick yarn and big needles make for a quick knit - especially with these shorter sleeves.


This sweater was photographed twice! First I met up with the editor of TAITO magazine and we took photos in scorching +30 celsius weather. I was trying my best not to show how hot and sweaty it was.


Later in the summer I was traveling in Scotland and mom took these lovely pics on Orkney island. What a relief it was to take photos on a cold, windy and rainy morning by the sea.


This will be my favorite sweater for the fall now that I can wear it in public. Do you like these kind of heavier weight sweaters?

No comments:

Post a Comment