6/15/2017

Rosala

Back in January the yarn shop Kerä asked me if I would be interested in designing some garment for their own lamb's wool yarn. I'm not in the habit of saying no to lamb's wool! So, they sent me some yarn and I was happy to design a cardigan for their yarn.


What: Rosala / Own design
How: Circular needles 3.0 and 3.5 mm
From: Vänö Ull Lammull, 285 g
Ravelryssa

Because this design started with the yarn, I'll start with talking about the yarn. It is lovely! It's softer than a baby's bum but still strong enough to knit. Don't you just hate when some soft yarns break when you try to knit them? This yarn still smells of the lamb that donated the wool. And the yarn still has that natural grease, lanolin in it.



The scent can be a deal breaker for some people but I loved it. And after washing the cardigan, the smell is very mild and you can't really notice it unless you keep sniffing the cardigan. (Oh yes. I sniff. All the time.) The lanolin made the yarn a bit greasy while knitting but after washing, the garment feels like velvet. I absolutely loved the yarn, so thank you so much for the oppoturnity.


I wanted to come up with a simple design for this softest of softs yarn. The kind of soft and comforting knit that you'll want to wrap yourself in when you feel like you need a softer take on life. And I reached my goal. Every time I put this cardigan on, it makes me feel a bit softer, gentler and lovey-dovey.



The cardigan features full length raglan sleeves with ribbing at the cuffs and hem. The button band is garter stitch and the neck band is knitted in stockinette stitch and allowed to roll. The highlight of the cardigan is a geometric lace in the sides and sleeves.



The pattern has 9 different sizes and it's meant to be worn with a bit of positive ease so choose a size that has bust circumference approximately 2''/5 cm wider than yours.



The pattern calls for sport weight yarn and depending on the size, uses 875-1200 yards / 800-1100 m.


You can purchase the pattern on Ravelry by clicking the link below. On top of everything, Kerä is offering a 10 % discount with the code "rosalacardigan" in case you would like to knit this in Vänö Ull Lammull.


Oh, and the name. Rosala is an island in the Finnish archipelago where Kerä has their headquarters.

1 comment: