3/13/2019

Triantan

Last year, I received an email asking me if I would have the time to design socks for the Finnish craft magazine, Suuri Käsityö. Obviously, I said yes.


What: Triantan / Own pattern
How: Circular needle 2.25 mm
From: Skein Queen Crush, 57 g

I needed a starting point so I asked if they had any color preferences. They told me they were hoping for grey, yellow or something down-to-earth type of color and I went stash diving.


I found a skein of Skein Queen Crush in the color Limpet which is one of my favorite yarn colors. I've also made my Crush sweater in Limpet. The color is beautiful pale grey with black and brown speckles. It's a lively color without being too variagated. You know, the kind of yarn that can do the talking by itself.

I wanted to design socks that would be mellow knitting but had some interest. So I needed a stitch pattern that would be easy to memorize. And this cable pattern forming triangles and diamonds is just the kind.


The clean lines of the cables inspired to me play with the pattern a bit. I decided to work the socks toe-up and let the cables slowly grow over the instep until they take over completely after the heel.


The socks are worked toe-up and the cable pattern grows diagonally over the instep. The heel is a traditional French heel - just worked from toe-up. The cuff ribbing follows along the lines of the cable pattern.


Triantan socks have just been published in the Finnish craft magazine, Suuri Käsityö. Later, in May, the pattern will also be available on Ravelry. In just a few days I will take the socks with me to Scotland and you can come check them out and buy yourself a printed pattern at Skein Queen's booth at the Edinburgh Yarn Fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment