We were talking about hoarding buttons at the local knitting groups meeting. Hands up, who doesn't have that set of just perfect buttons you never dare to actually use on a project. Yeh, I figured I wouldn't be the only one.
What: Briochevron cowl / Stephen West
How: Circular needle 5.0 mm
From: De Rerum Natura Gilliatt + scraps, 200 + 166 g
We decided to fix the problem and have a button KAL. The idea was to first go through our button stashes and find our favourite buttons, and second, come up with a project for those buttons. I've had these cutest woodlander buttons for years and never knew where to use them.
A while ago I fell in love with a friends Briochevron cowl she knit with colorful scrap yarns and that's what I wanted to do as well.
The little woodlanders demanded to be paired up with woodland colors. I went through my stash for any thicker green scraps and sorted them to go from light to dark green. I paired up the greens with a light colored Gilliat from De Rerum Natura.
Once I had the taste of destroyng scrap yarns, I couldn't stop. I actually knitted the cowl way too long and had to tink quite a bit. A friendly advise from someone with experience: make the buttonholes to that end of the cowl you want to have on top, not the other end. If only I had realized it at the time.
The colors on our hedgerow were so beautiful I had take pics immediately before the leaves dropped. So the buttons are at the wrong end here and I hadn't shortened the cowl yet.
With all its faults I still had to fix, I was already so in love with the cowl I started using it straight away. I warmly recommend this project to anyone with heavier scrap yarns.