9/13/2019

Harmas

I a world where everything is covered with chemicals, true, fluffy wool is pure love. It's especially wonderful it is local and soft.


What: Harmas / Own pattern
How: Circular needle 3.75 mm
From: Rintalan tila Iivari 2ply, 380 g
https://www.ravelry.com/projects/annaj0hanna/harmas

Last fall, at the craft fair, I fell in love with this soft Kainuugrey wool yarn by a local farmer, Rintala sheep farm. The yarn was beautiful, undyed and smelled a bit sheepy - just the right amount. And, it was sport weight which is ideal for a light sweater.



And a sweater it became! Last spring, I started designing a new favorite sweater for next winter. It should have lots of positive ease to make it comfy and relaxed. I wanted the sweater to have a tall collar to keep the back of my neck warm. And it should definitely have nice texture to it. Lots of good things!



But above all else, I was visioning my new favorite sweater with extra long sleeves with folded cuffs and thumb openings. That way I wouldn't have to wear mittens for quick bursts out in the cold.



This all became Harmas. It's a boxy, a bit corpped sweater - no waist shaping. Most of the sweater is moss stitch with stockinette at the 'seams' - though it is of course seamless. The sleeves are raglan sleeves, and not only extra long but also have some positive ease to them. The cuffs are folded and bound off into place, and the thumb openings are finished off with few crochet stitches.



The sweater is topped off with a lush, tall collar. It's one-colored brioche, making it soft, crunchy and drapy all at once. And of course, the sweater is worked seamlessly top-down. The pattern includes sizes XXS-3XL and you can find it on Ravelry.



I made my sample back in the spring. I already thought that I'd have to wait until fall to get some pictures taken but one sunny and bright spring week ended with a blizzard. The trail along the river offered us a magical place for a photoshoot. Now, I'm just waiting for the temperatures to drop a bit so I can start wearing this again!


It might be just barely fall still but this is the perfect time to cast on if you wish to finish your sweater before it gets cold! Until Sunday September 22nd, you can get the pattern with an introductory 25% discount using the code KAINUUGREY.

No comments:

Post a Comment