8/24/2020

Mine, finally

Last fall, I got my hands on a wonderful skein of Tukuwool Harmas. The Kainuugrey (a Finnish landrace) wool was rustic and soft at the same time. It had to turn into something extra special, and so it did: I combined the Kainuugrey yarn with some mohair/silk and designed a beautiful brioche hat that I named 'Yours, always'. It just so happened that the beanie fit my sister so well I had no other choice than to gift it to her.

What: Yours, always / Own pattern
How: Circular needle US 2 (2.75 mm)
From: Tukuwool Harmas + ITO Sensai, 25 + 21 g

It took a year but now I finally have one for my own use as well. The end of the summer took a crappy turn in my personal life and for the longest time I felt the need to buy myself happy at my LYS. I was feeling so low that none of the yarns were speaking to me and I was having a hard time finding some comfort yarn. Finally, I got to the shelf of those candy-like ITO mohair/silks. And suddenly it was clear what I wanted to make - the beanie that got away!

Yours, always hat is a combination of two completely different yarns: a woolly, Kainuugrey that is used as the main color of the brioche and forms the top knit stitches of the pattern, and delicate, lace weight mohair/silk that's used for the bottom purl stitches of the brioche pattern. It makes the inside of the hat like a soft, fluffy cloud.

Since the Kainuugrey yarn is sport weight and the mohair/silk lace weight, you need to use three strands of the latter. You could, of course, use three strands of the exact same mohair/silk but it's much more fun to create your own colors combining three different colors of mohair/silk.

I'm always fascinated by how the fluffy mohair/silk determines the color of the entire garment. Last year's hat had dark brown and grey mohair/silks that painted my sister's beanie kind of a brownish purple in my eyes. For my hat, I chose pale, colorless mohair/silks: white, beige and a pale mint green. Uncolors aren't for everyone but I for one adore how my chosen mohair/silks kinda seemed to render this beanie entirely colorless. I see many different shades in this beanie but no color - and I love it.  

The hat is mostly simple two-colored brioche but it's decorated with a beautiful leaf pattern made with just increases and decreases. I finished the hat in just couple days and it was just what the doctor ordered. Oh boy, how fun it was to work on an old pattern for once. Just for fun.

You can find the pattern in three different places: RavelryLovecrafts and PayHip.


No comments:

Post a Comment