1/11/2018

Trumpet

The theme of this Christmas was knits for kids. And I don't even have any of my own. This sweater was a gift for my goddaughter.


How: Circular needles 3.5, 4.0 and 5.0 mm
From: Hedgehog Fibres DK, 325 g
Ravelryssa

First, there was the Indie gift-a-long discount and I browsed throught hundreds of patterns. Once I came across this one, I had to cast on right away. Then, there was the yarn. I originally was thinking of something less expensive but once I remembered that I've never tried the DK weight Hedgehog, the thought wouldn't leave me alone. And the yarn is good for machine wash as well. So that was that.


This pattern is a nice combination of stockinette stitch and brioche. The sweater is worked top down, starting a the turtle neck. The cowl is all brioche with a chart at the front. The chart is just increases and decreases but look like cables.


Once the cowl is finished, the rest of the sweater is worked in stockinette stitch with only the chart worked in brioche. The shoulders were shaped with short rows.


The hem had a slit and the back was worked a bit longer than the front. The hem was worked in brioche and had an Italian bind off. It was a bit laborous but well worth the trouble.


I love the design and it made me want to cast on another brioche project right away - this time in adult size.


The cast on was also worked in Italian style. The pattern had written instructions for but I don't know if there was an error or if I just could work it right. I managed to cross my purls and knits but thought that nobody would notice so I didn't go back to fix it.


All in all, this was a really nice project and I finished it quickly. I loved the yarn, it was so soft. If only I could capture the pinkish red in the pics. Oh, and the title! I don't know the story behind the name of the pattern but in Finnish, torvi means a trumpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment