1/02/2019

Drunken cables

I've been knitting more tentacles for my octopus. If that sounds strange you can read the explation here.


What: Drunken sailor socks / Emily Wood
How: Circular needle 2.25 mm
From: Invictus Yarns Unconquerable Sole BFL, 81 g

These are a handsome pair of socks but I must say they're a rather ambitious project. But let's start from the beginning. I wanted to surprise a friend by knitting him a pair of socks for Christmas. At the same time, I was taking part in the Indie Design Gift-A-long Opadoo challenge where I needed to finish a project in all eight KAL categories from at least five different designers.


I was originally going to make a totally different pair of socks but I only realized after buying the pattern that it only included one size which wasn't big enough for men's socks. I had had my eye on this design as well but I could tell from the gorgeous cables that these would take quite a lot of effort to make.


Actually in the end, the squirming cable was the most clear part of the stitch pattern. There was so much going on in these socks: the cables running down the side of the socks, another chart for the back of the leg, some stitches with only written instructions, all of the stitch patterns running at different paces and to top it off: twisted stitches worked on every other round.


As I cast on, I was nervous thinking that these socks would take forever to make. Imagine my surprise as I learned all the stitch patterns after just a few rows! I couldn't believe it but the socks were a really nice and easy knit.

And look how pretty they are! So, if you like your socks with cables and charts and three other stitch patterns, I can really recommend this pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment