10/19/2020

Ripple

I've had this insatiable hunger for knitting socks since summer. No wonder once pair just wasn't enough! I decided on designing a mini collection of three sock pattern. The first pair, Kvartsi, I published in September and now it's time to release my Socktober pattern, Ripple.


What: Ripple / Own pattern
How: Circular needle 2.25 mm
From: Aara Tunto, 55 g
I was inspired to design a little mini collection of sock patterns and started to build it around the idea of ankle socks with cute picot trims. And all the samples are knit from beautiful handdyed yarns by talented Finnish indie dyers.


A year ago at our local knit fest, I fell in love with Aara Tunto sock yarn. It's a wonderful fingering weight, high twist BFL/nylon blend. The Blue Faced Leicester is soft wool but more durable than merino so I love to use it for socks. It's soft but not too slippery. I've named all the patterns in the collection by the colorways I used to make my sample socks and Ripple got its name from the Tunto colorway Väre, which means ripple in Finnish.



I didn't want the designs in the collection to be too much alike so I got carried away trying out different heel constructions. That makes this collection a great way to train your heel knitting skills. The first pair, Kvartsi socks, had my go-to French heel and Ripple socks feature a 'strong heel'. In a strong heel you work in the round while making gusset increases and once the leg reaches the sole, you will work short rows to make the heel turn in a similar way as in a French heel.


Ripple socks start with a picot edge and the instep is adorned with intricate lace and cables. The cables are repeated on the sides of the socks and the gusset increases slowly push them further apart. Once there's no more room on the instep for another pattern repeat before the toe, these stitches are worked in stockinette stitch. 


I'm just head over heels in love with these socks and they became a treasured pair in my sock drawer. I sure hope you like them as much. The pattern comes in three sizes, 64, 68 and 72 sts. You can find the pattern on Ravelry, PayHip and Lovecrafts.


And that's not all! I know many of you fell in love with the muted turquoise color of my sample pair and I've got good news for you: I've added yarn kits to my web shop! I chose three of my favorite colors from Aara and you can buy the yarn and get the pattern on top. The kits will be available until the end of the year or until they're sold out.


In addition to that muted, greyish turquoise colorway, Väre, I chose a moody dark purple called Kriikuna and a light, peachy pink colorway, Ilta. I don't know about you but I want to knit these socks in all three colorways!


And since I'll be releasing three sock patterns through autumn, I figured we should start a KAL. You can take part on Instagram or on Ravelry and all three patterns (Kvartsi, Ripple and the third one coming in November) are eligible for the KAL. The KAL will last until the end of the year and each finished pair will get you a ticket for the prize drawing on New Year's Day. You can take part chatting in this Ravelry thread or over on IG, using #KRSsockKAL.


Btw, if you've already bought Kvartsi socks on Ravelry, you will automatically get 25% off Ripple.

No comments:

Post a Comment